Skip to main content

Frequently asked
legal questions

Type your word or phrase into the search bar. Contact us or use our chat function for additional help if you can’t find your answer.

Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors

Workers’ Compensation

Should I use my regular doctor to file a claim?

You can, but sometimes it takes a couple of weeks to see your doctor. If it’s more urgent than that, go to an urgent care facility or the emergency department of your local hospital.

Can my employer fire me for filing a claim?

The State of Washington has a law against the retaliatory firing of an injured worker for filing a claim.

Do I have to sue my employer to make a claim?

You don’t have to sue your employer. The vast majority of claims are concluded without needing to be before a judge.

Does my employer have to pay for the claim?

Workers’ comp claims, like auto accidents, are paid for by the insurance carrier, not the employer directly. Unless the employer has opted to be self-employed.

Do I have to pay taxes on time loss payments?

Currently, no. While tax law and regulations are constantly changing, right now time loss payments are not considered income for purposes of federal taxes.

I want to reopen my claim, where do I start?

Depending on why you are trying to reopen your claim, the time passed since the date of closure can be important. Additionally, you’ll almost certainly need to show “objective medical worsening” of your condition since the date of closure. This information needs to come from a doctor, preferably by way of imaging or other objective medical testing – MRI, X-Ray, etc).

My employer has offered me light-duty work while I am being treated or recovering from my work-related injury or condition. Do I have to accept the offer?

This is a complicated question and varies greatly from case to case, but if you flatly deny the offer you may lose your eligibility to collect time loss. For more information, read our blog.

The conditions at my job are unsafe. Who can I contact to get the state's attention on this?

1-800-423-7233 – the Department of Labor and Industries Health and Safety Line.

I was injured on the job but part of the accident was my fault. Am I still eligible to file a claim?

YES. Washington is a no-fault system. This means that coverage for on-the-job injuries is provided regardless of who is at fault.

I had a workplace injury because my employer failed to maintain a safe work environment or has otherwise been negligent. Can I sue my employer?

Probably not. The no-fault system also means that if you were injured due to the employer’s negligence or failure to maintain a safe work environment, you cannot bring a suit directly against them. If you see a violation, report it to your employer. If they fail to fix it, you may want to call the Department of Labor and Industries to ask that they investigate. If you’re injured on the job, file a claim, and call us.

Personal Injury

Should I use my regular doctor to file a claim?

You can, but it isn’t your only option. Sometimes it can take a few weeks to see your doctor, so if this is urgent, we recommend going to an urgent care facility or the emergency department of your local hospital.

How long do I have to file a personal injury claim?

Each jurisdiction is different, but typically between one and three years. It’s best to contact an attorney so that they can assess your claim and statute of limitations.

Do most personal injury cases go to trial?

No, most settle after the facts come out and treatment is concluded. Make sure you hire an attorney who is willing to take your claim to trial.

What are the first things I should do after a personal injury accident?

  • Do. Not. Leave. Call the police and wait for them to arrive. This will also give you time to assess your body for injuries.
  • Go to the hospital if you have any aches or pains, even minor ones, as some of those could be life-threatening.
  • Finally, do not admit fault, but do share your insurance information.

Do I need to file a police report if I’m in a minor car accident?

YES! Absolutely file a report. Here’s what to do if you’re in a motor vehicle accident.

How do I know if I need to hire an attorney after being in a car accident?

If you or the other party have been injured, the car accident is being blamed on you, or if the other party or insurer is denying liability. Here are some other red flags.


Do you offer virtual meetings?

We offer both virtual and in-person meetings. Contact us to get scheduled for a free consultation.

Are Carlisle + Byers active in the Spokane community?

Rich and Chris love to support the fluffy critters at STAHR – Short Term After Hours Rescue.

How much do you charge?

The vast majority of our work is done on a contingent fee basis, meaning we collect a portion of the financial amount we recover for you rather than charge an hourly fee. There are also a few limited services for which we offer flat-rate pricing.

What are Chris and Rich’s secret talents?

Chris has an uncanny ability to be in several places at once, or at least it seems so. Between coaching multiple youth sports, to being heavily involved in Boy Scouts with his sons, participating on charity boards and being a zealous advocate for his clients, Chris may actually be faster than a speeding bullet! Rich plays a few different instruments and would like to think of himself as an amateur music producer. There’s some of his work floating around in the cloud and possibly more in the future (maybe coming to a podcast near you!).